lördag 27 december 2014

Glued support for seat tops

Was intended to be a fast affair in preparation for tomorrow's fitting of seat tops and potential coating and gluing. Turned out to be a messy affair. Not enough preparation so too much thinking had to be done with glue on parts..

fredag 21 november 2014

Small steps forward

Got the last part planed off the centreboard case and planed and dry fitted some of the side cleats and side arms. More than half done, but still no glue. I deviated a tiny bit from the plans as I didn't plane a fixed amount of the side cleats, but rather planed them to fit the curvature of the hull. 

tisdag 4 november 2014

An old picture

Most building blogs misses pictures of the builder in the act of building. Especially I would like to see pictures of someone gluing, but what you get is before and after pictures. Not strange at all since gluing is stressful and messy so you can't really pause to take pictures. Therefor I arranged for a photographer (Harry, my oldest son) to take some pictures of me gluing. When I finally got to actually mixing glue, he had found something more interesting to do, but at least I got one picture of me taking out the temporary screws from the test fitting of the bottom in preparation for gluing..

måndag 3 november 2014

A bit of planing, and some routing

Got an hour and a half free, planed of the part that was sticking out on one side of the boat and then tried to saw out a hole in the first bulkhead for a ventilation port. Didn't work to well, had been so much easier to do before the bulkhead was fitted to the boat. Then I remembered that I had borrowed a router. A bit scary but it worked out nice. While I admired my work I got the idea that the router might be the solution for the centreboard case as well. Very happy with the result. Now it's just some work with the number 4 and then it will be the correct height. 

lördag 1 november 2014

Started on the sidearms

Planed the front sidearm level, rather than the straight bevel suggested in the plan. Seemed easier.

onsdag 29 oktober 2014


Bought a brand new trailer yesterday. Was not really in the budget, but I think that it's a necessity. 

tisdag 14 oktober 2014

Rudder temporarily mounted

Drilled the transom and temporarily mounted the rudderbox/tiller. Also marked for the front and back seat top supports. 

söndag 12 oktober 2014

Mast support

Started by trying to route out the hole in the center. Did not turned out well so I used the jigsaw instead. 

torsdag 9 oktober 2014

Centreboard still fits

Of cause it would have been a bit easier to open out the centreboard slot later with the boat upside down. Was much too curious to see if the board still fits the box. It did with enough space to account for the glass and paint still to be applied. Routing upside down was a messy affair though. I don't think I'll learn to like to work with electric routers, but it got the work done.

måndag 6 oktober 2014

lördag 4 oktober 2014

Bottom is on!

Now it's boat. If I were to put her in water  she would float. Lots of work left though until she's ready for real, but it's getting there

lördag 20 september 2014


Got much needed help from my son Harry with the gluing. A bit if cleaning up tomorrow and then it's time to plane the chine logs. 

söndag 7 september 2014

Chinelog No.2

Fitted the second chinelog today. Still using clamps, but at least tried the plastic bag method to get glue where it's supposed to be. Went very well. Did'n use ziplock bags, but bags made for cake decorating.  

lördag 6 september 2014

Chine logs

Both chinelogs planed to size and smoothed.Only one of them glued as I ran out of clamps. I felt very smart when I prepared a small gauge to assure that the chinelog was glued with 10mm protruding. I also prepared for the excess glue you always ends up with and had some small reinforcement pieces for the transom ready, so now that's done as well. 
The gauge
Lots of clamps needed if you go against MIK's advice to use drywall screws...

måndag 1 september 2014

Scarfing continued

Nothing that shouldn't be glued together was glued together, and the scarfs turned out quite nice so I'm happy. 

söndag 31 augusti 2014

Scarfing Chinelogs

After cutting the boards on the table saw I cleaned up the cuts with the no 4 and glued them together again. I did both at the same time. Hopefully I managed to avoided gluing them together by placing some plastic tape between. 

söndag 17 augusti 2014

onsdag 13 augusti 2014

Mast glued up

The mast is now together. A bit of planing and then it too is ready for epoxy coating, as well as some fibreglass in the bottom end. Speaking of planing, I sharpened my no.4 yesterday evening making it a bit convex rather than using a secondary bevel and I got it really right! It cuts soo nice! The wood is soo smooth I doubt I can come close using sandpaper. 

The blade. 

The mast. Gunwales and inwales to the far left, and the wood for the chinelogs in the middle. 3D is approaching!

onsdag 23 juli 2014

Gluing centreboard case

Garage door open half past eleven in the evening. Cutting and gluing wood. Swedish summer at its very best. 

söndag 4 maj 2014

Foils continued

After a another long brake I brought the foils to the family summerhouse. Managed to apply SEK 300 (€30) of epoxy light fairing compound on it an then remove almost all of it with the random orbital sander. Now they are ready for glass and epoxy. 

tisdag 21 januari 2014

We have a rudder!

The rudder is now shaped and is awaiting some fairing and then fibreglass and epoxy together with the centreboard.